KOTA KINABALU: A joint operation by Sabah and Bukit Aman police saw the arrest of six individuals, including a woman, believed to be part of a syndicate smuggling ingredients for making fish bombs at Kampung Pondo, Pulau Gaya and Pulau Mantanani, Kota Belud.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah (pic) said the operation on Sunday was conducted following intelligence information on fish bombing activities in the waters of Kota Kinabalu.
“Police also seized several fish bomb sets, components for making fish bombs, wires which were suspected to be fuses, a ship, two outboard motors and RM2,000 in cash,” he told reporters after launching the “Ops Selamat 14”, in conjunction with the Chinese New Year, here, Monday.
He said all the suspects including a Philippine national, believed to be working as fishermen, aged between 20 and 50, were now remanded for investigation.
Omar said the suspects were detained under the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons (Amendment) Act 2014 and Prevention of Crime Act 1959.
“Police are also identifying the suspects’ connection with the bombing of a jewellery shop at the end of last year,” he said.
Meanwhile, Omar said security agencies would be stationed at 30 road stretches which were identified as accident-prone areas Statewide during the “Ops Selamat 14”, which would begin today (Tuesday) until Feb 12.
He said the stretches would also become one-stop centres which would operate for 24 hours to facilitate the public in making reports on any incident of crime and obtaining the related information.
“Surveillance of the waters in the State will also be boosted with the inspections of boats and ferries to ensure they comply with stipulated safety regulations,” he added.
He also advised the public to secure their homes during the Chinese New Year celebration before leaving for their holiday plans. -Jeremy S Zabala
Tuesday, January 29, 2019